It's summer and it's time for fried green tomatoes. It's one of those side dishes that you only get at home because it comes straight from the garden.
I love them so much I eat them as a snack! Try this recipe and see what you think.
Ingredients
- 4 green tomatoes
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (for extra flavor replace half of the oil with bacon drippings)
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning or Fish Fry Seasoning Mix
- ½ cup coarse ground cornmeal
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Milk (you can use whole, buttermilk, or nut milk)
Recipe
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch slices. Sprinkle salt on the slices and let rest.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In wide, shallow bowls, put flour in one, cornmeal and bread crumbs in the other.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk.
- Dredge the tomato slices in flour.
- Put floured tomato slices in milk and egg bowl then transfer to the cornmeal and bread crumb bowl until coated thoroughly.
- When the oil is hot fry the slices for 3 minutes or until the bottoms are golden.
- Gently flip the slices and fry the other side.
- When done, sop any excess oil from the slices on paper towels before serving.
- Serve warm.
Notes
If you line up your bowls and tomato platter in a row you’ll create a nice assembly line. Slice, dredge, wet, coat, then fry.
I find adding Cajun seasoning or any other spicy seasoning will greatly improve the fried green tomato breading. Add it to the flour and mix well. In a pinch I sometimes substitute Fish Fry mix for Cajun seasoning. You don’t taste the heat, just the flavor.
I used to only use flour when making fried green tomatoes, but mixing the bread crumbs with the coarse cornmeal gives it a nice tooth. Extra points if you use seasoned bread crumbs.
Milk: Buttermilk is best, but I rarely have it in stock. I had almond milk in the fridge and it worked perfectly fine.
Add salt and pepper to the flour, but add a little more than you think you need. You can also accompany the slices with a spicy mayonnaise, Ranch dressing, or Louisiana Remoulade Sauce.
How do you eat your fried green tomatoes? Is your recipe different from mine?


0 Yorumlar