Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

feaR’s 2015 Game of the year


feaR’s 2015 Game of the year

 

Welcome to my end of the year review where I will go through the top games I played this year, tell what I thought about them, and then decide which game I will give the crowning achievement of my 2015 Game of the Year. I’ve got to say right off the bat, at first I really didn’t think I had a lot to choose from this year, but as I’ve looked back to make this list, I had a great 2015. Before I get started, I have a few differences in how I decided which games count on my list compared to some other list. So here is how I chose:

 

  1. I choose based on what games I played that year. It doesn’t mean that the game came out in that calendar year. For example this year and on this list I will mention Far Cry 4. It came out in the tail end of 2014, but I didn’t play it until earlier this year. So while most people wouldn’t include this game, I do; this is MY game of the year list, and it’s a game I played this year.

 

  1. Even if I started playing a game the previous year, it can still show up on this list, if I put a significant amount of time in it this year. An example of that would be Skyrim. It was a game on my list in 2011, 2012, and 2013. I put in several hours playing that game in those years. For the record I still play it at times, but not enough to warrant a spot on this year’s list.
     

 

So here are my top 10 games of 2015:

 


 

10) WWE 2K15 – I got to say, I’m a huge WWE fan, and with that a huge fan of WWE games. I have been playing WWE(F) games since the NES days, and I have to say the last few WWE games have been some of the best. WWE 13 and 2K14 had the rosters, gameplay, showcase and universe modes that really sucked me in more than any other game since WWE Here Comes the Pain back in 2003. So it pains me that one year after 2k14, we got a stripped down game with 2k15. I enjoyed this game enough for it to make my top ten list, but there were a lot of things that held it back. For one, the lack of match options, no one on one ladder match? The roster was thin; and look I don’t expect each game to be a “legends” game, but even the current superstars were lacking.

I love universe mode, seriously on this blog you can find a (smaller version than the one on my computer) universe blog that I kept of all I did in 13 and 2k14, but this year it lacked. A lot of that comes from the odd removal of the interfere option in the match up screen. If I want to have a feud between Sting and Triple H, I don’t want to have 4 matches in a row between them until the PPV match. I liked using the interfere option as a way of having them interact every show until the big match. This really hurts when we only have 3 rivalries per show; so while its cool to see some stories played out (or just different versions of the same match each week sadly), it would have made for better storytelling to let us have other rivalries play out with interference. Backstage brawls, which were never great, would have allowed us to build up a feud in our own minds.

The career mode was something I was extremely excited to play, based on 2K’s work on the NBA series. However it ended up being just a bunch of random matches, training, and a few scenes to show a feud. It was tedious and boring. It also made no sense that it took so long to upgrade your character to do basic things, like jump off the top rope. There was potential, but it wasn’t what I wanted.

Now there were some great things, I loved being able to add my face into the game. The stamina system was really cool. Also while I didn’t really think I would get into the Showcase mode seeing how CM Punk and Cena’s feud was so recent it has factored into my universe mode for a few years, and HBK and Triple H’s feud was cool but not iconic. But the thing is I loved it. Both had great matches and videos to remind us as to why they were both feuds, even if I was having a hard time remembering before I started. The DLC was also better than I expected as well. And of course, WE GOT TO PLAY AS STING!!! Seriously for a guy that remembers being a “lil Stinger” in the late 80’s and early 90’s, and was a teenager when Sting went with the crow look, this was awesome to have him in the game.

To me, and I gave WWE 13 my 2013 game of the year and 2k14 was in my top 3 last year, this game was a disappointment. I still played it all year that’s why it’s here. It’s not horrible or bad, just lacking. My end of the year score is a 6.75.

 


 

9) Lego Marvel Superheroes - I have to start off by saying this is one of a few games you may see on next year’s list as well. As of now I have only managed to finish about a fourth of the missions, but I had to include it because I really enjoy this game. From the comedy, to the design of the world, all the characters, this game is great for a comic book fan. And it’s amazing that it all works in a Lego frame. I would have loved for this to be a normal action game in the vein of an Ultimate Alliance game; but it really does work.

The reason it’s lower on the list, and I’ve only made it as far as I have is because while I love playing it, I only manage to get about a level and a half during each play time. It’s fun, but slightly repetitive. So I’m still playing it, and still putting it on this list, but I expect it will also be on next year’s list as well. My end of year score would be a 7.

 


 

8) Fallout 4 – I know, I know; how could Fallout 4 be so low on my list? Well a few reasons. One, I haven’t played that much, maybe 15-20 hours, which is really just wetting the whistle on a game like this. So like Lego Marvel, this game will definitely be on next year’s list. Another reason is the gunplay. Yes it’s improved over Fallout 3, but I still don’t like the fact that it takes so many shots to kill another person. I have no complaints at this time on the game. I don’t have an issue with the graphics, the story isn’t bad, I enjoy building a settlement, though it could be less cumbersome. Nothing has wowed me yet though. I’m sure it will as I get further and further into the game. For me RPG’s like this, Skyrim, and Witcher 3 are marathons not sprints, so they get played in spurts for a week or so at a time. So yes, expect this to be on next year’s list, and possibly higher as well. My end of year score is a strong 8.

 


 

7) WWE 2K16 – This is the game that fills in a lot, not all, but a lot of what was missing in 2K15. The roster is great, the details with the stamina system have been fleshed out, and modes have been brought back forming a great package. I’ve only had the game a few weeks and I have had a great time with it. If I had had it longer, it would be higher on the list for sure, but I can say it will be on next year’s list. Also while they didn’t add back in backstage brawls or interference options in universe, the breakaway option of attacking your opponent has allowed me to have some great moments in the still beginning steps of my universe.

I do also have to point out that showcase mode focusing on Stone Cold Steve Austin was great, though I enjoyed how last year we also switched characters from time to time. This kept the mode fresh since you were not playing, in a way, the same match over and over doing the same moves. Also I know he is in upcoming DLC, but I can’t understand why Scott Hall wasn’t in this games roster. He has been requested for years, he was finally added in 2k14, but then missed last year’s game, and now he is late edition DLC. If Kevin Nash has been in each game since WWE 12, surely they could have kept Scott Hall in the game. And of course a lot has been said about the 4 horsewomen, I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be in the game. All 4 women have been very popular for over a year. My end of year score for this game (so far) is a great 8.5.

 

 


 

6) Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor – This was my first PS4 game. I got the PS4 last Christmas, and after finishing up AC Rogue (Seriously one of last year’s best games) I started on this game. The reason I picked this game wasn’t out of a huge love for Lord of the Rings, while I do like those movies, it was the nemesis system I wanted to try out. Of all the games out at the time, that seemed to be the most “next generation” feature outside of graphics any game had. I was not disappointed. It is a great feature. I loved how death is handled in this game, frustrating at first, but then you begin to be able to use it to your advantage. You begin to set up entire units of followers to battle other enemies, giving you a major advantage.

On top of that amazing system you have a great parkour system. The combat is great in the game. They weapons and abilities are all well done. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game, going as far as getting 100% in it and all the trophies because I just wanted to do more with it. The story was a little off, but that might just be my lacking in knowledge on the base material. My end of year score for this game is 8.75.

 


 

5) Far Cry 4 – I never got that far into the first Far Cry game when I picked it up on Xbox 360. I played a few hours, and then for one of the only games I can say this about, I spent most of my time in multiplayer. A friend and I would spend several months having a great time on Xbox Live taking on other teams in all the different created maps having a great time (Beau if you’re reading this, who can forget the classic, GET THE BOAT moment). Far Cry 2 I enjoyed, but the lack of fast travel, and the time driving back and forth just separated me from the game. Then came Far Cry 3 and it all changed. I was hooked on the setting; Vaas was an insanely good villain. I loved the story and how Jason went from being a rich punk to a survivor. The only issue I ever complain about with that game is the “bad” ending that really seems to come out of nowhere.

So I was excited to play Far Cry 4. I even held off on buying it until I had my PS4. This game is so much like Far Cry 3 in terms of gameplay and upgrades it could really be Far Cry 3.5. Now that’s not really a bad thing, because the systems work. But where the developers really grew this game was in the setting. While I loved the jungle and island feel of 3, 4’s mountain setting blew me away. The scenery made for some fun explore and a great backdrop to the explosive action.

I also have to point out this game featured another great story, and another great over the top villain. I loved that the story, and the moral decisions you had to face. Many times it was a matter of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”. I also loved how the more you played it, Pagen Min was still bad, but somehow had his reasons. When you can make that kind of story, you have something great on your hands. My end of the year score is 9.0.

 


 

4) Assassin’s Creed Syndicate – I played Assassin’s Creed Unity this past summer, but as you can see it hasn’t made it on this list (spoiler alert; it won’t) because I really couldn’t get into it. I’ve written a post before about how I feel about the series and my thoughts on Unity, but if you missed it, I felt like Unity was where the cracks of the franchise were finally putting the series in danger of being torn apart. I can say the graphics were amazing, and the story wasn’t that bad, but the game really took too many missteps. I was very disappointed that the modern day section was an afterthought. I honestly felt like Unity was going to be my last AC game for a while. But I decided to give this game a chance. I really didn’t expect much, I wasn’t that hyped for the game, I read that most of the issue I had were fixed; it looked fun so I went with it. I am so glad I did.

I loved this game! For me this game is now in a 3 way tie with Rogue and 2 for my favorite game in the series. The characters Jacob and Evie were fun to play as, and awesome characters overall in the story as well. There wasn’t the same story of starting as a no one, get pulled into the assassin’s struggle that we have had in several of the games. The story was great as it Jacob taking down the main villain’s holds on the different fronts of power, while Evie was looking for a piece of Eden which brought back a lot of the science fiction that the series is based on. The main villain is great because he and a few of his under bosses bring up valid points on using the power of the pieces, as opposed to the assassins who hid the power away.

The modern day story is told in cut scenes that you only watch, but I feel like they set up a future protagonist to play as in modern day settings, and if you unlock all the intel files, you get a preview of so great twist to the story. The gameplay is great, and the combat is back to fast paced action, though toward the end enemies block a little too often.

 I feel like Ubisoft knew its back was against the wall and it had to hit this game out of the park, and they did. I’m even excited about past games due to this game tying or at least alluding to why the artifacts in 4 and Rogue were important. If my top 3 games were not so good, this game would easily have been my number one game this year. My end of year score is a strong 9.0.

 


 

 

3) Witcher 3 – Having never played a Witcher game, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect for this game, but I was excited to play anyway. This game blew me away, from the story that has many twists and turns done in a very adult thinking kind of way, to the graphics, and the overall setting. The only reason this game is not my number 1 game of the year is only due to the fact I have yet to finish it. As I said with Fallout 4, huge RPGs like this are a marathon to me, so while I spent the first month playing this game, now I play it for a few days here and there.

The only negative I’ve had with the game was the quest to find Dandelion. Not that it was bad; it was just too long for me. While I enjoy how the missions or quests in the game can take turns and go down opposite directions from where you started, it seemed like the quest to find him too forever. I found myself stopping and just doing the amazing monster hunts and side missions and I started to dread going back to the main mission strand again. But I’m past that now and I’ve moved on to the islands. As I’ve played it over the last few days, I’m blown away again at how amazingly beautiful the landscape it.

This game will definitely be on next year’s list, I just have so much more to do, and I haven’t even started the DLC yet! Another point to bring up is the DLC, while there is a 10 DLC and another one dropping early 2016, there were 16 free pieces of DLC after release. While most where additions, the fact that they were free has to be given credit for in this day and age. My end of year score for this game (again so far) is easily a 9.25.

 


 

2) Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain – I almost could have sworn this was going to be my number one game of the year. It has probably the best gameplay of any action game I can think of. There are so many ways to play the game and the different side ops and main ops. The graphics are superb, animations are great. Even though Snake doesn’t talk a lot, the voice acting is great. The buddy system incorporates great team moves and awesome buddies. The map is just the right size to switch between main ops, side ops, and free play without getting lost or getting bored seeing the same areas.  I also am not a multiplayer type of player, but I like outside of the normal types of multiplayer and this game’s FOB multiplayer mode is awesome. So if it has all of this, and MGS is my favorite franchise, why isn’t it my number one game of the year?

The story is the answer to that question. See while yes the gameplay and characters are a big reason why I love the MGS universe so much, the Story is THE reason I loved the series as much as I did. Sadly this isn’t a case of the game being too “Metal Gear” either. The motivations of the main villain don’t make a lot of sense, there are entire plot points left open without any kind of cliffhanger type ending, they just stop in their tracks, and it never gave us the missing link it advertised. What really hurts is instead of giving us the story in cut scenes, most of the story that is there is told in audio tapes, which disconnect you from that as you have to sit there and listen for up to 10 minutes, and some tapes are just babbling. Toward the end, there are times you get multiple tapes at once, so for long stretches of time I had my game on a menu screen as I listened to lengthy conversations that I can’t help but think would have been better being played out in movie form. I do have to admit though; I loved the twist to the ending. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense for the cannon, and it was also very Meta in the sense that YOU were responsible for shaping Big Boss’s legacy.

I loved this game, and while the story isn’t great or the presentation isn’t ideal, and there is missing chapters left on a cutting room floor, I still think this is one of the best games I have played in a long time. In the end I give this game an end of the year score of 9.5.

 


 

1) Batman: Arkham Knight – This was it, my game of the year. I wrote a post about the Arkham series a few months ago talking about my love for the series. This game to me was the pinnacle of the series. The graphics were top notch. I really can’t think of a game that had better detail this year. The combat was expanded upon, but also fine-tuned as well. The voice acting was perfect. And the story was epic. It really did feel like this was the end for Batman.

I didn’t love everything of course. I didn’t like that to get the “true” ending I was forced to find and complete all the Riddler challenges and trophies. I usually liked to save those for a rainy day or a reason to come back to the game later. So having to spend several hours after I finished the last mission collecting them annoyed me. And I also didn’t like the “true” ending. The final cut scene of the game bugged me a little when after telling the world who he really is, and the world knowing how badass Batman is, no one thinks is a little screwy that moments after he walks in his mansion it explodes? To me I believe I would have thought, “I bet Batman is just playing us again”. And then that weird, on fire Batman at the end? That to me was just too much. I would have liked for the ending to have just been the seemingly destroyed Wayne Manor and maybe a shadowy figure on a rooftop, something vague. The way Arkham Knight’s identity is pretty much spelled out for you well before you get to him was also a disappointment. And the fact that the boss battle with him is a tank battle only adds to the disappointment.

That’s pretty much my issues with this game. Those few minor things in a game this big means the developers did a great job. I loved this series so much I don’t know if I want another Batman game from them, or if I want them to stop while they can bow out gracefully.

 I have wanted to give both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City my game of the year for their respective years but they were both beat by the Uncharted games each year. Not this year, I am happy to say that with a final score of 9.75 Batman Arkham Knight is my 2015 Game of the Year!

 

 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar