The most common lizard in the Virgin Islands is hard to find because it's quite small and lives amid the leaf litter that covers just about everything. Appropriately it's called a leaf lizard. Isn't it a lovely little creature? Those two white spots on it's back look like eyes.
Then there is a larger ground lizard which, as far as I know, never climbs trees. They are very fast and difficult to get a picture of. This guy is about as long as the flamboyant seedpod which is a good 22 inches.
Some years ago I rescued a baby iguana from the sea. He stayed on my hand until he had warmed up at which time I hid him away among the trees and bushes on the shoreline.
I hope that he will grow up to become an old man, like this guy, who had little fear of me as I got to within about a foot and half of his head-bobbing self. He was probably three and half feet long. Maybe more.Then there was the duck. I was down at Lindquist Beach one morning and this lovely little duck showed up. It's a White Cheeked Pintail.
They are also known as Bahama Pintails or Summer Ducks and are native to the islands. They're considered a threatened species because of habitat destruction and over hunting. Because they nest on the ground they're also susceptible to non-native predators like cats and mongooses.
I feel kind of special to have had this wild duck eat out of my hand.
Ever have a wild critter eat out of your hand?

0 Yorumlar