Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

READ THIS : Gods and Kings by Dana Thomas.

I love a good read.

I picked this up yesterday and I haven't really been able to put it down. 'Gods and Kings : The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano' is fascinating.

I thought I would find the story of Galliano more fascinating then McQueen since so much of McQueens life is public knowledge now. However, there seems to be a different take or a new side to the story with every publication about McQueen. This is no different and it's brilliant.

I've really enjoyed it so far and I'm just sorry I have to get something new after this again! I did pick up 'Take Another Little Piece of My Heart' which is an account of 1960s rock journalism at the same time. Which meant I spent over £30 on books yesterday even with a discount! OOPS. Mind you, I would have only wasted that money on shoes.

I did need shoes though....ooops.

Back to the book though, this is Dana Thomas's second book. It chronicles the rise and fall of two of London's greatest designers with a look through their starts, brands, Dior, Givenchy and the public fall from grace for Galliano and suicide of McQueen. I'm so impressed with this that I've just ordered her first book, Deluxe ; How Luxury Lost its Lustre' on Amazon.

Once again, my love hate relationship with Amazon is happening. I bought this is Waterstones yesterday for £25 which was about my limited for a hardback book. I'm not bothered about hardback vs paperback - I just want to read it and read it now. Basically this means buying hardback first. I went online yesterday and realised it is on Amazon for £10. I just don't know how the bookstores compete. First off - there appears to be no independent bookstore in Nottingham anymore and second, how does Waterstones even compete with that?!?!? I had a voucher for Waterstones but....after that price difference which was substantial even with postage and packaging - I can see why people don't want to buy in book stores.

Anyway, back to the book - really worthwhile read. A must for anyone in fashion! So far, I've inspired two people I know to buy the book after they spotted it in my bag.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar