Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Madonna's "MDNA"

*I have already received some criticism for my "Girl Gone Wild" single review post, let's see how this one goes :)


     The moment millions of devoted pop fanatics have been waiting for is almost here. Madonna, the Queen of Pop, is readying the release of her twelfth studio album, MDNA, a follow up to the critical and creative failure that was Hard Candy, on Interscope Records March 27. Preceded by two lackluster singles, “Give Me All Your Luvin’” and “Girl Gone Wild,” that do not showcase the album’s true potential, the record does feature some material that warrants the artist’s current title. While some tracks do seem desperate and not age appropriate, others prove that the singer is still a worthy competitor in the music industry. The album contains some of Madonna’s most personal lyrics, it allows us to see the real woman, not a character.
     As I said in a previous post, second single “Girl Gone Wild” shows the queen trying desperately to stay relevant in the pop game that is being dominated by the younger crowd. The lyrics are amateur at best; I felt I knew the lines before they came through the speaker. Madonna’s vocals sound slightly altered and are overpowered by the background production. I was called out for being too harsh, but it is what it is.
     “Gang Bang” was a positively reviewed track before the album’s release as it discusses the artist’s apparent hatred towards her ex-husband. The artist’s vocals come off robotic at the beginning, but the lyrics are some to be commended. I enjoy the song’s dark and sadistic tone, but I was hoping for a change in pace to keep my interest. The track is not bad, I just wanted more. Just got my hopes up I guess.
     The snippet was already underwhelming, but I did not expect to hear the major disappointment that was “I’m Addicted.” Madonna claims to be addicted to someone’s love, but her performance comes off stale with no emotion or feeling behind it. The song relies heavily on production that overpowers everything else on the song. The track does sum up the title’s drug reference though and the one responsible for the beat needs applause.
     The promising, single-worthy “Turn Up the Radio” starts off with a soft instrumental intro taking the listener back to a Madonna that existed a decade ago. The artist sings that she is leaving the past behind and sick of playing the never-ending game. The song seems to be an inspirational piece and it is a really great moment for the project. Madonna is best when she sounds sincere, not desperate.
     The album was flawed from the start when “Give Me All Your Luvin’” was announced as the album’s official lead single. I was so disappointed with the song that I even stated I would wait another four years for better material. The track is childish, the cheerleading yelling gets annoying very fast and the best part about it is the small verse from Nicki Minaj. Of all the tracks featured on the album, this can be considered the worst.
     “Some Girls” quickly lures listeners to the dance floor with its pulsating and addictive beats. The track is strictly for the clubs and I don’t mind that. Talking about girls who desire the chance to be on top and those that run their mouth, Madonna makes sure she allows a slightly negative track to come off as fun and danceable. I just wish that the singer allowed her voice to shine more on this one.
     We get a taste of “Ray of Light” Madonna, or at least that is what I hear from “Superstar.” The singer gushes over the man of her dreams, comparing him to greats such as Abraham Lincoln and Caesar. The track is a carefree, cute listen that will have plenty of fans blasting it in their cars as they sing along in the summer. I like the track because I feel Madonna created a song for herself and not to impress.
     Nicki Minaj assists the queen of pop for a second time on the angry fast-paced track, “I Don’t Give A”. Madonna shows off her slightly impressive rap skills as she disses someone that did her wrong. The song is decent, but the real reason to hear it is for Minaj’s verse. She is on top of her game as always. The choir-like vocals towards the end add an extra something special.
     The controversial artist claims she is a sinner and she likes it a certain way on “I’m A Sinner.” While the track title promises a raunchy, fun track, all I got was a somewhat boring four and half minute track that repeated itself way too much. Some aspects of the song work, like the additional background vocals, but the overall result is far from impressive. I do love the religious references though, classic Madonna.
     A western/violin vibe opens “Love Spent.” Madonna asks her man if he would marry her if she were poor. The lyrics are the highlight of the song; they seem to be more personal than any of her previous work. It is nice to see the pop icon really open up and give her music everything she has. It sounds as if the song is describing her failed marriage. What is better than truth?
     Fans got their first taste of the new album when “Masterpiece” was attached to the queen’s film “W.E.” The song took home a Golden Globe and it may be the most honest piece of music the artist has released in quite some time. The album was missing its ballad, but Madonna shows that she can do just about it all with this beautiful performance. The song is evidence of what the album could have been.
     The album closes out with another show-stopping performance of “Falling Free,” a moment of true, raw talent. I can forgive the pop filler once this song plays because it is nothing short of amazing. This is the Madonna that I have been waiting all album for and I’m glad she is here. Just as “Miles Away” was for Hard Candy, this song is the brightest moment on this project. The artist sounds hurt, innocent, everything about it is just so right.
     MDNA did not start off on the right foot, the first two singles are pop trash, let’s be honest. However, they do not represent the album as a whole at all, they give it no justice. Is this the queen’s best album? No. It is nowhere as great as Confessions on a Dance Floor, but the artist proves she still deserves to be cranking out music thirty years after her debut. Most of the album is filled with unbearable pop fluff that I cannot get through, but there are moments that shine very bright. I get a glimpse at the artist I love and the few tracks justify the album’s purchase. I am torn between loving and hating it so I’ll stick with being okay with it. The album receives a 75%.



Tracks to Hear: “Turn Up the Radio”, “Superstar”, “Falling Free”

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar